Saint Mary of the Assumption Church on the corner of Van Ness and O’Farrell was built in 1891, and destroyed by an arsonist fire September 6th 1962. A new Saint Mary’s was built to block west on Gough. The KRON TV Building now occupies this spot. In 1903 President Teddy Roosevelt visited San Francisco, and gave a parade past this location at Van Ness and O’Farrell to review all of the schoolchildren in San Francisco. A remarkable piece of film exists showing Teddy standing in his carriage passing the church at this spot. Click on the link here, and go to full screen for the best effect.